It's the Last Christmas for Windows Mobile
(Embedded Handheld 6.5) Support
Written by Conor Hanson and Simon Wraith - 03 December 2019
Microsoft is phasing out support for the Windows Embedded Handheld (WEH) operating systems that is used on many mobile devices, and the deadline is approaching. This system has long been popular with handheld devices, particularly the more rugged ones.
Support for Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 will reach end of life on January 14, 2020.
Still using WEH 6.5 in your business? Book a meeting with one of our Android Enterprise Professionals to discuss your migration before support runs out.
How will this Affect your Windows Devices?
After January 14 there will be no support from Microsoft on any issues that may arise whilst using devices with this operating system. No security patches or new firmware have been released for several years now and this could lead to your devices being:
- Vulnerable to security risks over Network
- Vulnerable to unplanned firmware stability issues
- Not fit for purpose for usage in future years
Benefits of Migration to Android
- Future-proof Solution – Android solutions can last for 3-5 years.
- Wide Breadth of Devices and |Manufacturers – Most manufacturer devices use the android platform which allows for a wide range of choices to the customer.
- Universal Familiarity – A large portion of end users will be well versed in how to use Android devices as they may have an Android personal phone which reduces the need for training.
- Application Flexibility – Android devices have the ability to install via .apk, Google Play Store, or Managed Play Store which allows for a wide range of available apps. Android is also more flexible for in-house apps.
- Regular Security Patches – This reduces security risks and ensures your network is protected.
- Encryption – Android devices offer security for sensitive data (devices on Android 6 and above have a level of encryption out of the box).
- Universal Accessories – Most devices can be charged via USB and if not, several accessories are interchangeable between devices.
- More Powerful Functionality with MDM/EMM – Android offers the ability to manage devices and set more restrictions than on Windows.
We can help you migrate to gain all the advantages of an Android Enterprise estate. Book a meeting to discuss.
Symec's Experience Migrating to Android
Symec has worked with a range of customers to migrate their existing Windows Estate to Android. Additionally, we are official Android Enterprise Zero-touch resellers, meaning we can migrate your estate with zero hassle.
Our involvement includes:
- Assessment of existing estate and technical usage
- Recommendation of hardware
- Creation of software build
- Consultation of software providers
- Recommendations for applications to use
- Provisioning of devices
Is your business still using a WEH 6.5 estate? Book a meeting with us to discuss how we can help you smoothly migrate to Android before your Windows support ends.